Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Story Time...

When I was in third grade my school had a Famous People Parade. Every third grade class in this small town participated in it. Still do to this day even...

All the kids would get to choose a famous person, do a bit of "research" and write up a blurb about who they were and why they were famous. We had to dress up like the famous people and had to choose a bit of music that would play while we walked down the aisle and up onto the stage. We could pick anyone we wanted to but the teachers were good about forcing us to pick people who had actually done good things rather then just movie stars. I think the end result was hi-larious and wish that I could find a tape of it somewhere. Perhaps a visit back to that elementary school would do the trick.

I remember that I was sick the day we got to pick our famous people. I remember looking at some names the next day in school and realizing that all the good famous people were gone. I remember the teacher getting impatient and just kind of thrusting my famous person upon me. She didnt seem to understand what i knew to be fact; (although, at the time, i doubt i could have said it in these words) that my famous person choice would stick with me from that moment on. It was a monumental decision...

Shirley Temple Black

Oh yes, the curly topped cutie.

My mother made my outfit. I had a sequined tie and cuffs. I wore tap shoes. I skipped down the aisle and onto the stage to the song "The Good Ship Lollypop" nearly slipping and cracking my cute little curly top head open not once, not twice, but THRICE times. (I cant pass up the rhyme.) I had curly hair, which i hated. So much so that I said i looked like a basketball with curls. My mother sold that story to Readers Digest for $300, but did I see any of the money? oh hell no.

I cant for the life of me remember what i said about being Shirley Temple Black. I know I mentioned the movies...that I mentioned the Ambassadorship (is this even a word?) to the Republic of Ghana. I dont remember much else.

If you would like to see how much I am like Shirley Temple Black, click here and replace Shirley, or Shirley Temple, or Shirley Temple Black with Bird. You will see that we have a lot in common.

What...you dont think I am a joyous tonic? Perhaps you need to get to know me better hmm?

2 comments:

Latko P. Moosegum said...

You could have been Richard Feynman. Of course, not many 3rd graders have been exposed to the academic side of quantum mechanics. Shirley Temple Black is cool too. I assume you have no y chromosomes in your genetic makeup, because there's no way that a teacher would do that to a dude. Is there?

Bird said...

Bird is indeed a chica. Bird is also an archaeologist as thusly has a special love for Feynman.